Recent Card Fraud Affects Customers of Area Banks

Friday, July 01 at 12:34 PM
Category: Personal Finance

Arvest Bank and several other banks in the region have recently discovered that some customer ATM and debit card information may have been compromised in a recent fraud scheme, posing a risk to these customer accounts. This breach of card information was not related to any compromise of any Arvest Bank systems.  We have already contacted customers whose cards we identified as possibly experiencing fraud activity.

Although examination of the event is ongoing, law enforcement has indicated they are focused on a type of fraud called ‘skimming’ used to obtain card data. A ‘card skimming’ fraud involves criminals attaching devices to points of purchase where you use your card, capturing card information during the purchase.  Local law enforcement, the F.B.I. and the Secret Service are working to investigate the incident.

Recent media coverage of the event includes:

What is Arvest doing?
The security of our customers’ accounts is a priority at Arvest and we have taken proactive steps to prevent unauthorized withdrawals of funds.  Our fraud-detection systems routinely monitor card usage and on the weekend of June 25 these systems detected a pattern of suspicious activity on certain customer debit cards. While reviewing this activity, we identified a larger group of customer debit cards that may be at risk and took steps to protect the accounts tied to these cards.  We apologize if this brief security restriction caused you any inconvenience.

In order to proactively protect other customer accounts, we have re-issued debit cards to replace those which may be at risk, even though no fraudulent activity was detected on those specific cards at this time.  Customers should receive these cards in the mail no later than July 8 and should begin using the new cards immediately.

While our detection systems may not detect all fraud, we will immediately attempt to contact any cardholder we determine may show indicators of unauthorized transactions.  Rest assured, we are continuing to monitor the situation and if any new information becomes available requiring further action, we will contact any affected customers as needed.

What should bank customers do?
Arvest has already contacted customers who may have been affected by the fraudulent activity and we are sending new cards to other cardholders who may be at risk.  If you receive a new card within the next week, please begin using it immediately. If you wish to change the PIN associated with your new card, please come to any Arvest branch location during normal business hours to change your PIN.

As always, use Arvest Online Banking or Mobile Banking to monitor your account activity and immediately report any suspicious transactions to the bank.  If you have any other information relevant to the investigation, please contact your local F.B.I. or Secret Service office.

In the event that you encounter any problems with your ATM or debit card, please contact Arvest Customer Service

Tags: Consumer Protection, Debit Cards, Fraud Alert, Privacy and Security
Roy on 7/6/2011 at 9:37 AM

Can Arvest provide me with a "smart card" to prevent debit card scams?

Arvest Blog Admin on 7/6/2011 at 8:22 PM

Roy - Thank you for your question.  Arvest has examined debit options, including "smart cards" for our customers. At this time we have no immediate plans to issue these type of cards for many reasons including expense, merchant acceptance and other concerns.  As "smart cards" become more prevelant and gain in acceptance, we will continue to consider it as a future option.

Amy on 7/12/2011 at 1:01 PM

How were customers informed they would be receiving a new card and their old one would be cancelled?

Arvest Blog Admin on 7/12/2011 at 4:54 PM

Amy - All customers who were reissued a card should have received the new card in the mail by now.  The cards were mailed out on Wednesday, June 30.  The original cards were deactivated yesterday afternoon, July 11.  If you didn't recieve a new card and your existing card does not work, please call customer service immediately for assistance.

John on 7/12/2011 at 8:52 PM

I would like an answer to Amy's question-- how were customers notified?

Arvest Blog Admin on 7/13/2011 at 7:24 AM

Laurel on 7/20/2011 at 10:04 PM

I tried to make an online purchase with the new card.  The vendor processed its part, but then it went the Arvest Authentication page, which is fine and I'm glad it does that extra level of protection.  What happened though was not good.  It would not accept my card causing me to not be able to make my purchase.  I went to my local branch the next morning, and the DC had to call someone else to find out the answer.  It turns out that my card was supposed to be taken to a site called VerifyVisa.com or something like that, to get the card activated.

I appreciate the precautions that are made if there is any suspect behavior on the accounts.  However, it seems to me, that we should have been provided instructions on having to do this so that you are not put in a position as I was of not being able to make the purchase, and having a useless card.

Thanks,

Tammy (from McAlester Area) on 8/2/2011 at 11:11 AM

I wasn't one of the people that received a new card because of possible scams.  However, on August 1, 2011, I received a call from Arvest questioning recent purchases on my account.  I had not made the purchases; therefore, Arvest cancelled my debit card immediately.  I was instructed to go to my local bank and apply for a new debit card, as well as get assistance on disputing any charges.  Without the phone call from Arvest, I'm not sure how many transactions these people would have made using my debit card.  Thanks Arvest for looking out for your customers!!!

John on 9/19/2011 at 3:13 PM

I received a letter from Arvest saying that there may have been fraudulent actions on my debit card so they limited its use to pin number purchases only.  When I called the branch to get details, they told me that someone may have tried to "hack" my card and the best thing would be to cancel it immediately.  I would have to go to my branch to renew the card. I work out of state, therefore it was a few days before I could get back to town. Upon renewing my card they informed me it would be about a week before I got my new card and I left.  I appreciate the vigilance of the Arvest team, because it saved money and a big headache.  The time required to receive the card in the mail, however was 14 days, and not 7. Thanks again, Arvest for protecting my assetts.

Justin bradley on 8/31/2016 at 3:31 PM
My mother's account was emptied. What steps are being taken by arvest to refund the money?
Arvest Blog Admin on 8/31/2016 at 6:47 PM
Justin - We're sorry to hear about your mother's account. Please have her contact us immediately at (866) 952-9523 for assistance. When she calls please have information available including the transaction type, transaction date and amount.